Good will to all men? Not from the grumpy atheists! (Thank God not all atheists are grumpy but there sure seems to be a lot of them)
Why is it that so many in the atheist community cannot bring themselves to get past their anger whenever they engage in discussions? The language of many of their contributions in public debate is laced with invective and dripping with sarcasm and bile. There are exceptions of course, but they tend to fall more into the category of being the 'exception that proves the rule' when compared to the hostility of many of today's atheist posters. Comment offered by the theists in the public square is often depicted as being 'malicious' or 'venomous' and intended to enslave the 'feeble minded and weak' by those who post. Nothing could be further from the truth. Venom is something that is oriented to death. Christians are oriented in a 180 degree different direction. We speak not to the culture of death that grips our world but rather for the culture of life and light which ends with the gift of eternal life. For example, the Catholic Church in its hum...
This is a reaction largely from the church going Catholic community, who feel betrayed by their own priests.
ReplyDeleteNumber one, do you blame them?
Number two, what do you think can be done right now to change their perceptions?
While the Church insists that this scandal of boy sodomy by priests is behind it, keep in mind that accusations against priests, most of which are never disproven, continue unabated and that many of these are not in the distant past but by young adults, recently into their majority and free of coercive parental authority, now free to speak up.
Anon:You write "Why would you do that, Steve? Are you just a vile person or do you have some personal motivation?"
ReplyDeleteLines like this are not going to be tolerated here. If I can find the right tool that would permit me to edit comments, I would delete it. Alas at this point, I've been unable to find such a program.
Note to world: When I moderate comments, I only get to see the first 50+ words in the review window and crap like this has been slipping by me without me noticing. Can anyone who is more familiar than I am with 'Blogger' suggest a widget that would let me edit comments?
Fr. Tim
I freely and without hesitation apologize for my remarks. They were clearly uncalled for and unChristian.
ReplyDeleteSteve: This last comment is just more evidence that you are a classy and charitable man. IF we all do as well in our offerings here, this blog would be a better place to visit. Thank you.
DeleteTim