Good will to all men? Not from the grumpy atheists! (Thank God not all atheists are grumpy but there sure seems to be a lot of them)
Why is it that so many in the atheist community cannot bring themselves to get past their anger whenever they engage in discussions? The language of many of their contributions in public debate is laced with invective and dripping with sarcasm and bile. There are exceptions of course, but they tend to fall more into the category of being the 'exception that proves the rule' when compared to the hostility of many of today's atheist posters. Comment offered by the theists in the public square is often depicted as being 'malicious' or 'venomous' and intended to enslave the 'feeble minded and weak' by those who post. Nothing could be further from the truth. Venom is something that is oriented to death. Christians are oriented in a 180 degree different direction. We speak not to the culture of death that grips our world but rather for the culture of life and light which ends with the gift of eternal life. For example, the Catholic Church in its hum...
"Increasingly, anti-life and anti-family rules are being imposed on people of faith.
ReplyDeleteOur "right to choose" — our right to choose to practice the faith we profess — a right guaranteed by the First Amendment — seems to mean little or nothing to many who wield power."
Until I hear of one Catholic being forced to have an abortion, forced to use contraception or forced in engage in a same sex marriage in this country against their will, then I will regulate this argument to the category of formulating a strawman.
Instead we can all think of situations that within our lifetimes, all abortions were banned, contraception was illegal (even for married non Cathiolics) and gays had no right to marry.
While I would not presume to impose my morality (or lack thereof because for this bishop I lack the wisdom to have morality since I am an atheist) I would ask that this Catholic bishop not impose his morality on me or people of faith but not belonging to his denomination.