Skip to main content

Priests need prayers to deal with disillusionment

Priests need prayers to deal with disillusionment

Comments

  1. May I suggest they also need words of encouragement. So often in many walks of life one doesn't get the simple thank you that can mean so much.

    Priests, like authors, can live somewhat set apart lives. The late Christopher Hitchens once commented that authors enjoy getting a note from their readers and one should not be reluctant to send one (He also stressed the importance of condolence notes). On Saturday I saw an interview with an author I have enjoys for over two decades now, Daniel C, Dennett, so I sat down and wrote him a note telling which books of his I've read and the one I am reading and how I have enjoyed them. I also mentioned that his public expression of love of Bach choral music gives me, a fellow atheist, cover when I am caught out listening or at concerts. I got a nice response a few hours later thanking me and telling me he is working on a new book, "a real humdinger".

    Fr. Tim. - I hope this article wasn't any expression of disillusionment on your part and I would ask any of your parishioners to pray for you if they feel so inclined, but also to talk to you and thank you for the work you are doing in your parish.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Good will to all men? Not from the grumpy atheists! (Thank God not all atheists are grumpy but there sure seems to be a lot of them)

Why is it that so many in the atheist community cannot bring  themselves to get past their anger whenever they engage in discussions? The language of many of their contributions in public debate is laced with invective and dripping with sarcasm and bile. There are exceptions of course, but they tend to fall more into the category of being the 'exception that proves the rule' when compared to the hostility of many of today's atheist posters. Comment offered by the theists in the public square is often depicted as being 'malicious' or 'venomous' and intended to enslave the 'feeble minded and weak' by those who post. Nothing could be further from the truth. Venom is something that is oriented to death. Christians are oriented in a 180 degree different direction. We speak not to the culture of death  that grips our world but rather for the culture of life and light which ends with the gift of eternal life. For example, the Catholic Church in its hum...