Skip to main content

Married priests: Ratzinger makes an exception - Vatican Insider

Married priests: Ratzinger makes an exception - Vatican Insider

Comments

  1. sick-and-tired of lies16 September, 2013

    Just another political Priest, though now promoted to much higher office, shooting off his mouth with no consideration for the truth.
    Sounds like the 2 Priests from Antigonish who sent a letter to all Priests in Canada, asking them to contribute money to pay off the 7 MILION dollar loan the Diocese took out to pay for sexual-abuse settlements, etc.
    Whatever happened to SILENCE is a virtue?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sick-and-tired: Speaking of lies or at least incorrect facts... how come I never received this letter you allege was sent to all priests in Canada? In fact, no priest that I know has ever spoken of receiving such a letter. Such a plea from brother priests suffering financially because of the sex abuse scandals and the feckless manner that Bishops dealt with criminal priests would be a topic of conversation whenever we gather - which we do regularly - and yet the first time I hear of it is here in your comment.

    That said, you are right in asserting that silence, in its proper place and time is indeed a virtue. May I remind you that speaking with truth and with charity are also similar virtues that we must heed before we break that silence. Please be sure of your facts and refrain from shouting and making personal comments impugning someone's character when you post here. It'd be appreciated.

    Fr. Tim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sick-and-tired16 September, 2013

      Father, just search for it. One of the Priests who signed it is a Fr. Barry.
      It is as real, as my frustration is.

      Delete
  3. Doug Cameron, Whitby16 September, 2013

    Fr. Tim, I just read the letter signed by Fr, Duaine Devereaux, and Fr. John Barry, Chair, Council of priests, and it does indeed ask all Priests in Canada to contribute, as the other person said. The letter is dated August 26, 3012.
    It looks like you owe somebody an apology, or at least a correction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doug: I will be only too happy to offer one if you would answer one question for me. Was the letter postmarked as 3rd class or bulk mail? If it was, it was never opened. It went straight into the blue box as it entered the office. If however it carried a first class stamp I will apologize post haste. Even though it would have arrived the week I changed assignments, leaving Mattawa to take up residence on Allumette Island so perhaps the letter didn't arrive before I left, but I'm certain I have not read such a letter from the two priests you reference.

      Fr. Tim

      Delete
    2. Doug Cameron16 September, 2013

      The problem with your disclaimer is you accused the other poster of some pretty serious stuff!
      Have you no conscience ? Or only exscuses ?

      Delete
    3. Maybe you didn't get it because it's dated 3012 and won't be mailed for another 1000 years. :->

      Delete
    4. Rationalist, you are about as funny as piss in the vinegar. Doug

      Delete
    5. Doug - I defer to your expertise on the humour inherent in that combination.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Good will to all men? Not from the grumpy atheists! (Thank God not all atheists are grumpy but there sure seems to be a lot of them)

Why is it that so many in the atheist community cannot bring  themselves to get past their anger whenever they engage in discussions? The language of many of their contributions in public debate is laced with invective and dripping with sarcasm and bile. There are exceptions of course, but they tend to fall more into the category of being the 'exception that proves the rule' when compared to the hostility of many of today's atheist posters. Comment offered by the theists in the public square is often depicted as being 'malicious' or 'venomous' and intended to enslave the 'feeble minded and weak' by those who post. Nothing could be further from the truth. Venom is something that is oriented to death. Christians are oriented in a 180 degree different direction. We speak not to the culture of death  that grips our world but rather for the culture of life and light which ends with the gift of eternal life. For example, the Catholic Church in its hum...