TCTheTiger, a frequent poster on the Holy Post Blog of the National Post objected recently to someone referring to the Catholic Church as 'evil'. Here is my response to him. I would appreciate comment.
TCTheTiger: You write: "It's exactly like saying since Hitler said 1+1=2, it must be wrong." Forgive me but I have no idea what that is supposed to mean.
If O/C claimed that all clergy are evil, then I think it's more than fair to say that was offering such a statement as a rhetorical flourish or said in the heat of argument. He has certainly not said such a thing in his many exchanges with me.
Aside for this, to a degree he is correct.
You must remember that the Catholic Church exists as a spiritual and an earthly form. The former being our inspiration and goal, and the latter is as sinful and evil as any other earthly enterprise. It is only by admitting the reality of these two entities that we Catholics can hold true to the promises of Christ that you have referred to in the past. Or, as my old seminary prof once quipped, "the church cannot screw-up so perfectly as to thwart the plan of God." There is no downside spiritually or earthly in admitting that the Catholic Church is evil inasmuch as it has harbored predatory priests in its ranks. Once we have admitted to our fault, we can take the steps necessary to ensure that the earthly manifestation of Christ's Church more closely resembles the Bride of Christ it is intended to be.
- American Papist Blog
- American Spectator
- Archbishop Tim Dolan's (NY) Blog
- Big Blue Wave
- Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC News Site)
- Catholic Dialogue Blog
- Catholic Education Resource Center
- Catholic Exchange
- Catholic Heritage Website (Ireland)
- Catholic Insight
- Catholic News Agency
- Catholic Online
- Catholic Sensibility
- Catholic, and Loving It
- CTV News Site
- Ethics and Public Policy Center
- First Things
- Fr. Raymond De Souza - National Post Columnist
- Fr. Raymond deSouza personal blog
- Freethroughthought blog (excellent site)
- Friar Rick's Webblog
- Get Religion.org
- Global TV News Site
- Holy Post - National Post Religious Blog
- Inside Catholic Blog
- New Advent
- Pave the Way Foundation
- Priests for Life Canada Website
- ProLife Blog
- Roman Catholic Diocese of Pembroke
- Rosary for the Bishops
- Salt & Light TV - Canadian Catholic Television Website
- Sandro Magister
- Sane Conservatism
- SoCon (social conservative)
- Sylvia's Website: Canadian Clergy Sex Abuse Cases
- The Catholic Register
- The Hermeneutic of Continuity
- The National Post: Canada's National Daily
- The New Jesuit Review
- The New York Times Website
- Vox Nova
- What Does Prayer Really Say - Priest bolg
- Whispers in the Loggia
- ► 2016 (1220)
- ► 2015 (2204)
- ► 2014 (2437)
- ► 2013 (1381)
- ► 2012 (1527)
- ► 2011 (1437)
- ► 2010 (997)
- Excellent post on the issue of privacy vs security...
- Is it right to call the church 'evil' ?
- Bonne et heurese année (Happy New Year)
- Prayer for Priests
- The best and worst news stories of 2009
- What "Evangelical" really means
- ... and then there was one
- An absolute Christmas must see!! "White Christmas...
- A Merry Christmas Card for my friends & family
- Does Science provide evidence for the truths of fa...
- Great debate from National Post: Church stand of M...
- Archbishop Martin (Dublin) seems to get it!
- Applying business practices to faith ... and it wo...
- Vatican announcement
- There are happy priests!!!
- I've been challenged to make a statement about how...
- Bishops CAN have an effective voice IF they are wi...
- Bioethics source book for Catholics
- What will they think of next?
- British government intrusion into Jewish faith
- Looking for something good to read... or a last mi...
- Quebec used to be the most Catholic of Canadian Pr...
- Vatican official explains the difference between j...
- Human Rights Commission menaces Christian organiza...
- Just-War Tradition explained
- Balance is a hard thing to find in avoiding the Su...
- The Soviet Socialist Republic... of Massachusetts?...
- SoCon Blog posts insightful piece on the role of m...
- Population control and answer to climate change?
- Just how big is the universe?
- Remember the Club of Rome?
- Scriptural lesson on religious dialogue
- Parental rights disappearing in Germany
- The question of religious freedom throughout the w...
- The Great Consolidator
- The Catholicism Project
- CCCB (Canadian Bishops Conference) publishes sex a...
- American Babylon: Richard Neuhaus' final book rev...
- British legislation menaces Church right to choose...
- Different standards for Catholic vs Protestant cle...
- "The Final Call" starts a multi part investigation...
- Bishop Jim Wingle (St. Catherines) addresses Catho...
- How to define the "Catholic Identity" of higher sc...
- My dear friend and mentor - Fr. Richard Neuhaus (R...
- Holy Father hale and healthy!
- Please comment on the pro-life argument presented ...
- John Denver & the Muppets - nice song to quiet the...
- This is what I've been trying to say....
- Midnight Mass time change at Vatican: Is the Pope...
- If this is true... than thank you Your Excellency ...
- Drawing strength and inspiration from the witness ...
- New Jesuit Review
- Tiger Woods story
- Communion ban for politicians with vote pro-aborti...
- "Holy Post" Blog column
- Taken from some of the comments from this blog
- Vatican studies the use of the internet by priests...
- McLeans Magazine on the Catholic Clergy Sex Abuse ...
- Debate on Freedom of Religion as framed by the Swi...
- Science: the new religion of the modern age
- More strident voices challenges the role of faith ...
- My more feeble attempt to argue,.. "a la Neuhaus"...
- One of the BEST arguments for the role of religion...
- Cuban Church joins the Virtual World of the Blogos...
- Bishop Jim Wingle (St. Catherines) addresses Catho...
- An Irish priest responds to the Dublin abuse repor...
- I'm back
- ▼ December (67)