Today's National Post published an article about another Newfoundland Priest who has been charged with child pornography charges. The one difference this time is that the alleged offender is a priest of the Anglican Church of Canada and not Roman Catholic.
Actually, there is another notable difference. In the 24+ hours that this story has been posted on the NP website, not one single comment of condemnation has appeared in the response to these sordid revelations. When it is a Roman Catholic clergyman, within mere minutes the vitriolic avalanche of comments begin to accumulate in the comment threads, usually hitting 100+ responses/comments within the first 24-36 hours. This most certainly is the case whenever the Lahey scandal incites a new report within the pages of the National Post.
Now that the clergyman is a married man with children... and protestant... the story passes without a single comment.
But is this one case not insufficient to justify a charge of general prejudice against the Catholic faith? Yes. However... add to this case the fact that the day before a Lutheran pastor in British Columbia was sentenced to jail for the production of child porn, an event that did not even warrant coverage in the Post - let alone hundreds of condemnatory comments.
So, given that the only major difference in these cases is the denomination of the offender, does this suffice to raise the level of concern about the reality of an anti-Catholic bias within both the MSM, and those who participate in the virtual discussions that follow the posting of the stories on their websites?
It at least gives cause for concern.
Fr. Tim Moyle
- American Papist Blog
- American Spectator
- Archbishop Tim Dolan's (NY) Blog
- Big Blue Wave
- Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC News Site)
- Catholic Dialogue Blog
- Catholic Education Resource Center
- Catholic Exchange
- Catholic Heritage Website (Ireland)
- Catholic Insight
- Catholic News Agency
- Catholic Online
- Catholic Sensibility
- Catholic, and Loving It
- CTV News Site
- Ethics and Public Policy Center
- First Things
- Fr. Raymond De Souza - National Post Columnist
- Fr. Raymond deSouza personal blog
- Freethroughthought blog (excellent site)
- Friar Rick's Webblog
- Get Religion.org
- Global TV News Site
- Holy Post - National Post Religious Blog
- Inside Catholic Blog
- New Advent
- Pave the Way Foundation
- Priests for Life Canada Website
- ProLife Blog
- Roman Catholic Diocese of Pembroke
- Rosary for the Bishops
- Salt & Light TV - Canadian Catholic Television Website
- Sandro Magister
- Sane Conservatism
- SoCon (social conservative)
- Sylvia's Website: Canadian Clergy Sex Abuse Cases
- The Catholic Register
- The Hermeneutic of Continuity
- The National Post: Canada's National Daily
- The New Jesuit Review
- The New York Times Website
- Vox Nova
- What Does Prayer Really Say - Priest bolg
- Whispers in the Loggia
- ► 2020 (233)
- ► 2019 (1140)
- ► 2018 (1328)
- ► 2017 (1711)
- ► 2016 (2020)
- ► 2015 (2204)
- ► 2014 (2437)
- ► 2013 (1381)
- ► 2012 (1527)
- ► 2011 (1437)
- ► 2010 (997)
- Excellent post on the issue of privacy vs security...
- Is it right to call the church 'evil' ?
- Bonne et heurese année (Happy New Year)
- Prayer for Priests
- The best and worst news stories of 2009
- What "Evangelical" really means
- ... and then there was one
- An absolute Christmas must see!! "White Christmas...
- A Merry Christmas Card for my friends & family
- Does Science provide evidence for the truths of fa...
- Great debate from National Post: Church stand of M...
- Archbishop Martin (Dublin) seems to get it!
- Applying business practices to faith ... and it wo...
- Vatican announcement
- There are happy priests!!!
- I've been challenged to make a statement about how...
- Bishops CAN have an effective voice IF they are wi...
- Bioethics source book for Catholics
- What will they think of next?
- British government intrusion into Jewish faith
- Looking for something good to read... or a last mi...
- Quebec used to be the most Catholic of Canadian Pr...
- Vatican official explains the difference between j...
- Human Rights Commission menaces Christian organiza...
- Just-War Tradition explained
- Balance is a hard thing to find in avoiding the Su...
- The Soviet Socialist Republic... of Massachusetts?
- SoCon Blog posts insightful piece on the role of m...
- Population control and answer to climate change?
- Just how big is the universe?
- Remember the Club of Rome?
- Scriptural lesson on religious dialogue
- Parental rights disappearing in Germany
- The question of religious freedom throughout the w...
- The Great Consolidator
- The Catholicism Project
- CCCB (Canadian Bishops Conference) publishes sex a...
- American Babylon: Richard Neuhaus' final book rev...
- British legislation menaces Church right to choose...
- Different standards for Catholic vs Protestant cle...
- "The Final Call" starts a multi part investigation...
- Bishop Jim Wingle (St. Catherines) addresses Catho...
- How to define the "Catholic Identity" of higher sc...
- My dear friend and mentor - Fr. Richard Neuhaus (R...
- Holy Father hale and healthy!
- Please comment on the pro-life argument presented ...
- John Denver & the Muppets - nice song to quiet the...
- This is what I've been trying to say....
- Midnight Mass time change at Vatican: Is the Pope...
- If this is true... than thank you Your Excellency ...
- Drawing strength and inspiration from the witness ...
- New Jesuit Review
- Tiger Woods story
- Communion ban for politicians with vote pro-abortion
- "Holy Post" Blog column
- Taken from some of the comments from this blog
- Vatican studies the use of the internet by priests
- McLeans Magazine on the Catholic Clergy Sex Abuse ...
- Debate on Freedom of Religion as framed by the Swi...
- Science: the new religion of the modern age
- More strident voices challenges the role of faith ...
- My more feeble attempt to argue,.. "a la Neuhaus"
- One of the BEST arguments for the role of religion...
- Cuban Church joins the Virtual World of the Blogos...
- Bishop Jim Wingle (St. Catherines) addresses Catho...
- An Irish priest responds to the Dublin abuse report
- I'm back
- ▼ December (67)