This one really makes you stop and think. God's grace is truly unmerited.
It is a shame but this message is very true. Hope you are all as blessed as I was by this story. I wonder how many people will delete this without reading it because of the title.
There once was a man named George Thomas, pastor in a small New England town. One Easter Sunday morning he came to the Church carrying a rusty, bent, old bird cage, and set it by the pulpit.
Eyebrows were raised and, as if in response, Pastor Thomas began to speak....
"I was walking through town yesterday when I saw a young boy coming toward me swinging this bird cage. On the bottom of the cage were three little wild birds, shivering with cold and fright.
I stopped the lad and asked, "What do you have there, son?"
"Just some old birds," came the reply.
"What are you going to do with them?" I asked.
"Take 'em home and have fun with 'em," he answered. "I'm gonna tease 'em and pull out their feathers to make 'em fight. I'm gonna have a real good time.."
"But you'll get tired of those birds sooner or later. What will you do then?"
"Oh, I got some cats," said the little boy. "They like birds. I'll take 'em to them."
The pastor was silent for a moment. "How much do you want for those birds, son?"
"Huh?? !!! Why, you don't want them birds, mister. They're just plain old field
birds. They don't sing. They ain't even pretty!"
"How much?" the pastor asked again. The boy sized up the pastor as if he were crazy and said, "$10?"
The pastor reached in his pocket and took out a ten dollar bill. He placed it in the boy's hand. In a flash, the boy was gone. The pastor picked up the cage and gently carried it to the end of the alley where there was a tree and a grassy spot. Setting the cage down, he opened the door, and by softly tapping the bars persuaded the birds out, setting them free. Well, that explained the empty bird cage on the pulpit, and then the pastor began to tell this story:
One day Satan and Jesus were having a conversation. Satan had just come from the Garden of Eden, and he was gloating and boasting. "Yes, sir, I just caught a world full of people down there. Set me a trap, used bait I knew they couldn't resist. Got 'em all!"
"What are you going to do with them?" Jesus asked.
Satan replied, "Oh, I'm gonna have fun! I'm gonna teach them how to marry and divorce each other, how to hate and abuse each other, how to drink and smoke and curse. I'm gonna teach them how to invent guns and bombs and kill each other.
I'm really gonna have fun!"
"And what will you do when you are done with them?" Jesus asked.
"Oh, I'll kill 'em," Satan glared proudly.
"How much do you want for them?" Jesus asked.
"Oh, you don't want those people. They ain't no good. Why, you'll take them and they'll just hate you. They'll spit on you, curse you and kill you. You don't want those people!!"
"How much? He asked again.
Satan looked at Jesus and sneered, "All your blood, tears and your life."
Jesus said, "DONE!" Then He paid the price.
The pastor picked up the cage and walked from the pulpit....
- American Papist Blog
- American Spectator
- Archbishop Tim Dolan's (NY) Blog
- Big Blue Wave
- Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC News Site)
- Catholic Dialogue Blog
- Catholic Education Resource Center
- Catholic Exchange
- Catholic Heritage Website (Ireland)
- Catholic Insight
- Catholic News Agency
- Catholic Online
- Catholic Sensibility
- Catholic, and Loving It
- CTV News Site
- Ethics and Public Policy Center
- First Things
- Fr. Raymond De Souza - National Post Columnist
- Fr. Raymond deSouza personal blog
- Freethroughthought blog (excellent site)
- Friar Rick's Webblog
- Get Religion.org
- Global TV News Site
- Holy Post - National Post Religious Blog
- Inside Catholic Blog
- New Advent
- Pave the Way Foundation
- Priests for Life Canada Website
- ProLife Blog
- Roman Catholic Diocese of Pembroke
- Rosary for the Bishops
- Salt & Light TV - Canadian Catholic Television Website
- Sandro Magister
- Sane Conservatism
- SoCon (social conservative)
- Sylvia's Website: Canadian Clergy Sex Abuse Cases
- The Catholic Register
- The Hermeneutic of Continuity
- The National Post: Canada's National Daily
- The New Jesuit Review
- The New York Times Website
- Vox Nova
- What Does Prayer Really Say - Priest bolg
- Whispers in the Loggia
- ► 2017 (1160)
- ► 2016 (2020)
- ► 2015 (2204)
- ► 2014 (2437)
- ► 2013 (1381)
- ► 2012 (1527)
- ► 2011 (1437)
- Catholics' ties to church tested by crisis
- Maureen Dowd (NYT) hurls more insult and abuse at...
- Check, recheck and triple check » GetReligion
- Catholic Culture : Latest Headlines : Pope has Can...
- Here's a new website that is devoting itself to pr...
- The Catholic Register - D&P, LifeSite rev up their...
- One of those 'inspirational messages' that float a...
- It's time to call in help to clean up the mess!
- George Weigel & Jay Scott Newman add more evidence...
- Frank Bruni puts scandals in perpective - We have ...
- Scoundrel Times: George Weigel addresses the dama...
- This is a 'major' demonstration?
- The Catholic Revolution... Thanks Cristina!
- IRREFUTABLE PROOF!! With great appreciation to Fr....
- Fr. Dwight Longenecker offers wisdom in dealing wi...
- New York Times tries to turn up the heat on the Ch...
- What's with the sleeping dog you ask?
- Need more proof that War has indeed begun in earne...
- Spaghetti Carbonara... a favorite of mine!
- The Pope and the Wisconsin sex abuse scandal: I sm...
- A Response to Christopher Hitchens' The Great Cath...
- Temporal Weapons that we should use in promotion o...
- Further evidence that the War is on in earnest!
- A CALL TO ARMS: War must be engaged with energy an...
- Over on the NP Holy Post blog, "robertbj" understo...
- Support the Pontiff with more than prayer
- TRUTH : Papal writings to the Irish Church - To p...
- TRUTH : Papal writings to the Irish Church - To...
- More evidence of media bias against the Pope - Tim...
- Pope Benedict's Letter to the Irish Church - put i...
- A reposting of what it means to be an "evangelical...
- Model for Canada to follow in addressing sex abuse...
- Happy St. Patrick's Day!!!
- A German Catholic asks: “If you get divorced and r...
- The Human Experience: Narrated in part by Fr. Ric...
- Not entirely theologically sound... but wise none ...
- New addition to the Cafeteria vending machine offe...
- A little 'artistic' fun
- Prayer Request
- Sympathectomy of the Soul: From Joe Carter (First ...
- Live Abortion on Social Media - Catholic Online
- In anticipation of St. Patrick's Day....
- For all those who claim that JPII and B16 have kil...
- Canada's hockey Olympic glory... told to the tune ...
- Sex Abuse Scandal touches Vatican itself
- Dutch bishop calls for sex abuse investigation | F...
- A moment of your time please for a personal reques...
- Martin poses a great question to be answered by a ...
- A little penguin humor to "break the ice"
- A FISH STORY worth telling... thanks to Martin!
- RJN addresses the issue of the role of religion in...
- New Edition of the New Jesuit Review
- Two great friends of mine, and of all the Catholic...
- A Failure of Leadership
- A MUST SEE for any Star Trek fan out there whose i...
- In response to todays Gallup Poll, I offer this re...
- 'Bubba' the new Walmart 'greeter' offers a wry bit...
- The horrendous cost of the sex abuse scandals: Vi...
- ▼ March (59)