Here is an excellent article to contemplate when challenged to prove that the voice of faith has a right to be heard within every medium of modern society.
In a letter, written in defense of Pastor Steven Boissons, Bishop Henry of Calgary viscerates the philosophic underpinnings of modern day secularism as practiced today in Canada. It is this philosophy which dominates the public square these days, creating an ever increasingly hostile atmosphere for the free expression of one's religious convictions. You can say that a church is still free to speak and preach its creed and beliefs, however you demand that they be punished for believing in values contrary to current public opinion, then their speech is hardly free.
Given Bishop Henry's involvement in the NP Holy Blog story about a Calgary church being stripped of its charitable status, thus denying it the right to offer tax receipts. This decision is not made because they are not a charitable organization...they serve over 150,000 meals per year to the homeless and urban poor of the city. They are being stripped of this right because the CRA (Canadian Revenue Agency) has decreed that churches cannot spend in excess of 10% of their resources to argue for a traditional Christian interpretation of what constitutes a sin. This is nowhere established (yet) in law, but it is the actual policy, as it is currently being applied in Canada.
It's really is this simple. The government is over and over again punishing voices of faith publicly expressing their understanding of what is moral, and is using the instruments of the state to try to intimidate their expression in the public square.
Boissons was not only forced to pay a $5,000 fine directly to a person that claimed to be "injured" by his traditional christian teaching on sexuality written as a letter to the editor of a local newspaper which he did not agree with it, (thankfully overturned later by the Courts after a great deal of financial suffering by the minister), but he was prohibited from even talking about these subjects in any public forum... including in his own religious services (again tossed by the Courts after much expense - without Crown compensation I might add)!
People have the right to believe as they choose. They have the right to say so. They also have the right not to be financially punished for the expression of their belief.
It would be nice if secularists would at least be as open and honest in admitting to the philosophy behind their arguments against religious expression in the public square, and own up to their prejudice against the arguments of faith.
- American Papist Blog
- American Spectator
- Archbishop Tim Dolan's (NY) Blog
- Big Blue Wave
- Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC News Site)
- Catholic Dialogue Blog
- Catholic Education Resource Center
- Catholic Exchange
- Catholic Heritage Website (Ireland)
- Catholic Insight
- Catholic News Agency
- Catholic Online
- Catholic Sensibility
- Catholic, and Loving It
- CTV News Site
- Ethics and Public Policy Center
- First Things
- Fr. Raymond De Souza - National Post Columnist
- Fr. Raymond deSouza personal blog
- Freethroughthought blog (excellent site)
- Friar Rick's Webblog
- Get Religion.org
- Global TV News Site
- Holy Post - National Post Religious Blog
- Inside Catholic Blog
- New Advent
- Pave the Way Foundation
- Priests for Life Canada Website
- ProLife Blog
- Roman Catholic Diocese of Pembroke
- Rosary for the Bishops
- Salt & Light TV - Canadian Catholic Television Website
- Sandro Magister
- Sane Conservatism
- SoCon (social conservative)
- Sylvia's Website: Canadian Clergy Sex Abuse Cases
- The Catholic Register
- The Hermeneutic of Continuity
- The National Post: Canada's National Daily
- The New Jesuit Review
- The New York Times Website
- Vox Nova
- What Does Prayer Really Say - Priest bolg
- Whispers in the Loggia
- ► 2016 (2020)
- ► 2015 (2204)
- ► 2014 (2437)
- ► 2013 (1381)
- ► 2012 (1527)
- ► 2011 (1437)
- Fr. Ron Rolheiser's take on the "what bad things h...
- Evangelical Catholicism as expressed by John Allen...
- KEEP PRAYING FOR DR. ROB SUSIL
- Atheists go postal over stamp honoring Mother Ther...
- Pope Benedict - and his great drive for ecumunism....
- Your prayer help is URGENTLY and IMMEDIATELY neede...
- Point to remember when posting comments
- An excellent reflection on the Church's use of the...
- Here's you chance to put your "John Henry" on an i...
- US Federal Buildings closed for people of faith
- Today is a fruitful one on the internet
- A quick and easy post!
- Another civil exchange of the challenge the Church...
- Thoughts to consider before leaping into reaping v...
- BIG BLUE WAVE: Atheism: a danger to freedom of rel...
- Christianity: A Threatened Belief (The arrival of...
- Interesting statistics of the life of the Catholic...
- One of Bishop Fred Henry's (Calgary) classics
- Insightful editorial on the issue of God & Haiti f...
- From the "now I've seen everything" file
- Pope calls on priests to use the internet to sprea...
- Canadian Government continues its ATTACK against i...
- A theologian-pope sidelines theology | National Ca...
- More on the connection between evil, sin , grace a...
- Looking for help with an ancient theological puzzl...
- A summary for Martin - a fellow seeker for truth i...
- How did "sex" change from meaning one's gender to ...
- Another thought produced by the tragedy in Haita
- Kate McGarrigle R.I.P.
- Video report on Pope Benedict XVI to Jewish Synago...
- Moral/Mental Reservation
- Robert F Kennedy: 4 April 1968.... man of peace an...
- A little humor at the end of the day
- This puts the current War in Aghanistan into the p...
- Quebec defines that heterosexuality cannot be taug...
- Help!! I lost the Red Cross!!
- Pope B16's visit to the Roman Synagogue
- The devil is real... and he is us.
- Does Haiti teach us any lessons about God?
- Keeping "clean" on the muddy paths of the internet...
- Getting the most out of Mass
- Confession by the Numbers
- Canadians cannot withhold taxes in abortion contes...
- ROME REPORTS TV News Agency - Best keep secrets of...
- Finding God in clay vessels
- A Group worthy of support, praise and reading!!!
- Where Rights came from. A video series by Dr. Tom ...
- Accessing the historical memory of the Catholic Ch...
- Amid the hysteria... some perspective
- Defending the indefensible!
- Calls for moderation within the greater world wide...
- How to reach lapsed Catholics
- Eleven steps to a better ministry
- Questions about genetic research... is it about to...
- A Bishop faces and angry parish in France when he ...
- Why Catholic scandals are treated differently than...
- "You might be a redneck" as morphed for Catholics!...
- OPEN FORUM
- Picture Proof of what heaven must be like (at leas...
- Interesting articles.. and subsequent ruminations ...
- "The perspective of size"
- Code Words in the Clergy Sex Abuse Scandal - anoth...
- Demographic bomb in the heart of Europe
- A good news post
- John Allen's take on the past 10 years in the Vati...
- ▼ January (67)