Donald Trump is scheduled to appear on the Larry King Show on CNN this evening to discuss his offer to purchase the Manhattan property near Ground Zero upon which the Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf and his Muslim brethren intend to build the ‘Cordoba Center’, an Islamic cultural and religious center. While supporters of the project state that it little more than an ‘bridge building’ effort to the Christian west, an Islamic YMCA, its’ opponents characterize it as an insult to those thousands who perished on 9/11 and a threat to religious peace and civil liberties. They point to Youtube videos purporting to show how Islamists have intimidated and effectively taken over neighborhoods within Europe in which they impose Sharia Law upon the women under their control, in open contravention of the rule of law.
Most analysts and media commentators are calling this little more than a publicity stunt with Trump using the occasion to market himself. It need not be so. In fact, if he were to follow the example of some of his fellow billionaires, he could be a powerful agent to bring about religious peace in lower Manhattan, and perhaps around the world.
This is what I pray that he might be inspired to do. Tonight, he could offer to buy the property, with a reasonable profit to the Cordoba Center initiative, while simultaneously promising to develop the property which he would lease back to the current owners for a modest lease price. This would allow for him (or his lawyers) to ensure that he can exercise his right as landlord to evict the Cordoba Center if it violates civil law or fomented religious disquiet or extremism. By following the example of Bill and Melinda Gates or Warren Buffett in such an act of altruism, Trump could prove the power of capitalism to become the instrument of social peace and prosperity that it has brought to America and the rest of the Industrialized world. As it has done since its birth, American capitalism has conquered the religious animus that existed between numerous religious and cultural groups in the past. Conflicts from places as exotic as tribal Africa and as near as the shores of Ireland have never found root in America due to its' strong adhesion to the principles of liberty enshrined in its' founding documents and the allure of prosperity and freedom that capitalism has produced for a large middle class of citizens. Muslim parents want to see their children prosper as do Christians. The American formula for civil and religious freedom has proven its capacity to do just that. Put simply, liberty and the prospect of familial societal and economic advancement ‘trumps’ religious fanaticism every time, so long as the game is not rigged (something Mr. Trump should know about given his rise to riches through the gaming industry).
Michael Novak, in his book “The Universal Hunger for Liberty: Why the Clash of Civilizations Is Not Inevitable” argues this point. He points out that not only has capitalism brought America to a previously unheard of levels of personal wealth, freedom and world dominance, but it also is demonstrably the only successful model which can lift any country or culture from poverty in every corner of the world within one or two generations. From the post-WWII economies of Western Europe and Asian Tiger of Japan through to China and the Indian subcontinent, countries that have oriented their cultures and economies to harness the power of the free market have been transformed and are experiencing the same phenomena as that which created the American culture into an economic superpower.
The ‘Donald’, always keen to burnish him standing in popular culture, can also strike a blow for the rights of women as well. While Trump has used his TV series ‘The Apprentice’ to promote his daughter as a sophisticated and talented executive, ensuring that the Cordoba Center neither promotes nor practices an extreme view of Islam spawned by the anti-capitalist forces of Arab OPEC nations such as Iran and Saudi Arabia (monopolies have long been declared illegal in America, a proven detriment to greater cultural prosperity) and ensuring that the civil law of the land is respected by his tenants will do far more for to establish him as a champion of women's rights. Standing up for the women of America, and by extension all Islamic women, Trump may legitimately repair the damage done his reputation as a womanizer and marital infidelities. It would ‘buy’ him more in world status and prestige than any alimony cheque could ever bring.
Given the standards of 2009 Nobel Peace Prize granted to American President based upon nothing more than the ‘promise of change’ in American foreign policy, Trump might be able to ride a new found acclaim to a prize of his own if he were to bring about such a rapprochement between Islam and the nations of the west. If his record to date has taught us anything, it is that Donald Trump aims high when setting goals. If he can advance the cause of world religious harmony and tolerance while acting to ensure women’s rights with the Islamic world, maybe it is not too much for him to achieve.
Just imagine. The Dali Lahma, Mother Teresa, Nelson Mandela (and perhaps Obama as well if his various peace initiatives throughout the world begin to bear results)…, and the ‘Donald, all Nobel laureates?’ If American capitalism is as alluring to Muslims as it has been to Christians and others, Trumps’ next TV address might be from Oslo in January 2011.
Who knows? Stranger things have happened.
- American Papist Blog
- American Spectator
- Archbishop Tim Dolan's (NY) Blog
- Big Blue Wave
- Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC News Site)
- Catholic Dialogue Blog
- Catholic Education Resource Center
- Catholic Exchange
- Catholic Heritage Website (Ireland)
- Catholic Insight
- Catholic News Agency
- Catholic Online
- Catholic Sensibility
- Catholic, and Loving It
- CTV News Site
- Ethics and Public Policy Center
- First Things
- Fr. Raymond De Souza - National Post Columnist
- Fr. Raymond deSouza personal blog
- Freethroughthought blog (excellent site)
- Friar Rick's Webblog
- Get Religion.org
- Global TV News Site
- Holy Post - National Post Religious Blog
- Inside Catholic Blog
- New Advent
- Pave the Way Foundation
- Priests for Life Canada Website
- ProLife Blog
- Roman Catholic Diocese of Pembroke
- Rosary for the Bishops
- Salt & Light TV - Canadian Catholic Television Website
- Sandro Magister
- Sane Conservatism
- SoCon (social conservative)
- Sylvia's Website: Canadian Clergy Sex Abuse Cases
- The Catholic Register
- The Hermeneutic of Continuity
- The National Post: Canada's National Daily
- The New Jesuit Review
- The New York Times Website
- Vox Nova
- What Does Prayer Really Say - Priest bolg
- Whispers in the Loggia
- ► 2020 (233)
- ► 2019 (1140)
- ► 2018 (1328)
- ► 2017 (1711)
- ► 2016 (2020)
- ► 2015 (2204)
- ► 2014 (2437)
- ► 2013 (1381)
- ► 2012 (1527)
- ► 2011 (1437)
- In Bank Inquiry, Vatican Faces the Modern World - ...
- Are We Really Over-Populated? | Archdiocese of Was...
- Richard Dawkins & Co. = Paisley 2.0? | First Things
- Mother Teresa as model for NGO's? Not a bad idea!!
- Atheist unwittingly makes strong case for God « So...
- For the Love of Dog! | Blogs | NCRegister.com
- Don Martin: Ten years later, Trudeau divides us st...
- Don't know much about religion? You're not alone, ...
- A Life Tale that illustrates a principle that gird...
- Hebrew Cosmology.
- 'The Catholicity of Starbucks!' - Catholic Phoenix
- The Pope's Banker Weathers the Storm
- Prominent atheist says Catholicism is least tolera...
- Busy, Busy, Busy!!
- Catholics and Orthodox report promising progress i...
- Atheists Commandments
- Vatican Issues Defense of Seizure From Its Bank - ...
- Parting the waters: Computer modeling applies phys...
- George Weigel's The Catholic Difference :: The Piu...
- therecord.com.au - Shrill polemics can't excuse QC...
- ‘Pope Benedict is an enemy of the state’ | spiked
- The Straight Lines of Providence | First Things
- POPE'S UK VISIT: Benedict XVI's parting message as...
- The hermeneutic of continuity: News of the World c...
- The Pope's Last Wishes in the United Kingdom
- Winter will be colder, longer than last year - CTV...
- Pope B16's homily at the Beatification of Cardinal...
- City plans to bill pastor for security around plan...
- In the Crucifix of Westminster, the Pope Sees the ...
- Whispers in the Loggia: Text of another papal addr...
- Whispers in the Loggia: "Side By Side"... "Face to...
- Al Qaeda Plot to Kill Pope Benedict XVI Foiled In ...
- Archbishop Chaput speaks about Catholics obligatio...
- Whispers in the Loggia: "Search For Him, Know Him ...
- CBC News - World - 5 arrested over potential threa...
- Why 'public' should not mean 'atheist'
- Somehow, we have life
- Something to brighten a rainy day
- A Promise to Pope John Paul II | First Things
- Omid Djalili, an Iranian comic offers a wonderf...
- Quebec's collective depression
- This Pope is a great man, badly served by bishops ...
- Alan Lurie: Why Does God Hide?
- Fides et Ratio « The American Catholic
- Should the Pope face charges? - Macleans.ca
- Mass rape by paedophile Catholic priests is a myth...
- Donald Trump: Nobel Laurete? It's possible!
- Struggle over 'ownership' of baby split gay parents
- Robert Fulford: Lessons of 9/11 | Full Comment | N...
- A thought on 9/11
- The Limits of Religious Tolerance | Religion and E...
- Australia's Catholic church bans pop songs at fune...
- Catholic Culture : Latest Headlines : Belgian abus...
- Scientist at Center of Stem-Cell Storm Once Made S...
- Daunting and Soothing: Abuse Report Gets Facts Str...
- There's only ONE real 'Fr. Tim' on the National Post
- Fidel latest to say Cuba's communism doesn't work ...
- Fidel Castro says Cuban model no longer works
- Weasel Zippers » Blog Archive » Prominent Italian ...
- Catholic Culture : Latest Headlines : Qu'ran-burni...
- Understanding Pope Benedict XVI on the Liturgy « T...
- Planned Koran burning condemned worldwide - U.s. -...
- Technology is both weird and wonderful.
- ▼ September (63)