26 October, 2009
Bishop Paul-Andre Durocher addresses the Lahey Scandal
In the editorial section of Cornwall’s Standard Freeholder the following Letter to the editor was written by Bishop Paul-André Durocher on October 2, 2009. In the letter he expresses his shock and shame, bewilderment, and sorrow. “My heart goes out to all those who have been deeply shaken by this revelation. My prayers are offered for all of us.” Here is his full letter: Shocked By Charges Against Fellow Bishop: I imagine most readers of this newspaper have been shocked and scandalized at the news that a Canadian bishop has been charged with possession of child pornography. I share their shock, I also feel a great sense of shame that a fellow bishop could have been involved in such a horrible activity. The seriousness of the charge and the immediate resignation of the accused shakes our confidence in his presumed innocence. It also undermines our trust in all persons in positions of authority, including those who, like Bishop Lahey, have used their authority positively to heal breaches with past victims of clergy sexual abuse. In the face of such paradoxical behaviour, I can only shake my head in bewilderment and sorrow. I cannot understand what would lead a person to to be interested in pornography involving children. All pornography is demeaning, but that involving children is even more so, since it requires that children be abused in its production. Unfortunately, anyone with an internet connection can easily access this material. It has become a scourge in our society, one which needs to be combated as courageously as possible. My heart goes out to all those who have been deeply shaken by this revelation. My prayers are offered for all of us. May we respond with an even greater awareness of our weakness, a greater commitment to care for our children, a greater engagement in building a society where such horrors do not happen. Paul-André Durocher Bishop of Alexandria-Cornwall (Standard Freeholder – Oct 2, 2009, Letter to the Editor)
- American Papist Blog
- American Spectator
- Archbishop Tim Dolan's (NY) Blog
- Big Blue Wave
- Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC News Site)
- Catholic Dialogue Blog
- Catholic Education Resource Center
- Catholic Exchange
- Catholic Heritage Website (Ireland)
- Catholic Insight
- Catholic News Agency
- Catholic Online
- Catholic Sensibility
- Catholic, and Loving It
- CTV News Site
- Ethics and Public Policy Center
- First Things
- Fr. Raymond De Souza - National Post Columnist
- Fr. Raymond deSouza personal blog
- Freethroughthought blog (excellent site)
- Friar Rick's Webblog
- Get Religion.org
- Global TV News Site
- Holy Post - National Post Religious Blog
- Inside Catholic Blog
- New Advent
- Pave the Way Foundation
- Priests for Life Canada Website
- ProLife Blog
- Roman Catholic Diocese of Pembroke
- Rosary for the Bishops
- Salt & Light TV - Canadian Catholic Television Website
- Sandro Magister
- Sane Conservatism
- SoCon (social conservative)
- Sylvia's Website: Canadian Clergy Sex Abuse Cases
- The Catholic Register
- The Hermeneutic of Continuity
- The National Post: Canada's National Daily
- The New Jesuit Review
- The New York Times Website
- Vox Nova
- What Does Prayer Really Say - Priest bolg
- Whispers in the Loggia
- ► 2019 (1073)
- ► 2018 (1328)
- ► 2017 (1711)
- ► 2016 (2020)
- ► 2015 (2204)
- ► 2014 (2437)
- ► 2013 (1381)
- ► 2012 (1527)
- ► 2011 (1437)
- ► 2010 (997)
- Gay man sues Bible publisher for $10 Million
- Canadians have a "right" to health care? Apparent...
- Halloween is NOT condemned by the Vatican
- A proposed discussion
- Reformation Day: An insightful take on Martin Lut...
- Some "home town parish" bragging
- An archive of writings from Bishop Frederick Henry...
- Next Generation of Catholic Leaders
- Archbishop Thomas Collins (Toronto) speaks on the ...
- What is "Evangelical" Catholicism?
- Archbishop Dolan confronts the issue of anti-Catho...
- The ongoing cost of the sex abuse scandals to the ...
- "Beauty" is only skin deep, but at what price.
- Holy See calls for Catholics, clerics and lay alik...
- Archbishop Timothy Dolan (New York) joins the blog...
- Archbishop Currie (St. John's NFLD) writes about t...
- Statistics on sexual abuse by priests, ministers a...
- Monogamy under attack?
- Video of Bishops addressing current issues
- Archbishop Dolan to imitate Cardinal O’Connor, Arc...
- Randy Cohen (New York Times) comments on media cov...
- Excellent blogsite for Canadian/Catholic and Proli...
- Bishop Paul-Andre Durocher addresses the Lahey Sca...
- Charles Lewis (National Post) addresses Maureen Do...
- Canadian Euthanasia Debate
- Can Clergy Sex Abuse Offenders be Helped?
- Conscience, Courage, and Children With Down Syndro...
- Friar Rick posts comments of Apostolic Nuncio in t...
- A Letter to the Bishops of Canada
- Maureen Dowd throws down a challenge in today's Ne...
- Fr. Raymond de Souza (National Post Columnist) add...
- Bishop Frederick Henry (Calgary) addresses the Lah...
- Archbishop Mancini (Halifax & Apostolic Administra...
- Article on the Public Role of Bishops by Archbisho...
- Je me souvien
- The Dickwad Theory
- ▼ October (36)