The Western Catholic Reporter, which advertises itself as being Canada's largest Catholic weekly, has within its website an excellent series of articles written by western Canadian Bishops. Within this archive one can find many submissions from Bishop Fred Henry of the Diocese of Calgary.
Not only is Bishop Henry among the most prolific of writers, but he addresses issues in a straight forward and articulate manner, usually foregoing many of the "ecclesiastical niceties" that so often marks the writings of modern Bishops. To use an expression from Fr. Jack O'Flaherty (RIP), my seminary spiritual director, he seems never afraid to "bell the cat" when needed.
Fr. Fred Henry was the Rector at St. Peter's Seminary (London) for the majority of my years of study and formation for the priesthood as well as being a professor of Dogmatic Theology. That is, until he was elevated to become first the Auxiliary Bishop of London, then serving as Ordinary in the Diocese of Thunder Bay until his installation in Calgary.
I consider myself as being fortunate to having studied under his tutelage.
As a seminarian I was fortunate to be able to attend his Ordination to the Episcopate, when during that magnificent ritual the Book of the Gospels was held above his head. A young member of his family turned to the supervising adult next to him and asked what they were doing to "Uncle Fred". "Shhh..." his chaperone said, "this is where they take out Uncle Fred's backbone!"
Thankfully, the years that followed have amply demonstrated that this was not to be the case for "Bishop Fred".
Take a few minutes and read this collection of articles from one of Canada's leading voices in all things Catholic in Canada.
- American Papist Blog
- American Spectator
- Archbishop Tim Dolan's (NY) Blog
- Big Blue Wave
- Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC News Site)
- Catholic Dialogue Blog
- Catholic Education Resource Center
- Catholic Exchange
- Catholic Heritage Website (Ireland)
- Catholic Insight
- Catholic News Agency
- Catholic Online
- Catholic Sensibility
- Catholic, and Loving It
- CTV News Site
- Ethics and Public Policy Center
- First Things
- Fr. Raymond De Souza - National Post Columnist
- Fr. Raymond deSouza personal blog
- Freethroughthought blog (excellent site)
- Friar Rick's Webblog
- Get Religion.org
- Global TV News Site
- Holy Post - National Post Religious Blog
- Inside Catholic Blog
- New Advent
- Pave the Way Foundation
- Priests for Life Canada Website
- ProLife Blog
- Roman Catholic Diocese of Pembroke
- Rosary for the Bishops
- Salt & Light TV - Canadian Catholic Television Website
- Sandro Magister
- Sane Conservatism
- SoCon (social conservative)
- Sylvia's Website: Canadian Clergy Sex Abuse Cases
- The Catholic Register
- The Hermeneutic of Continuity
- The National Post: Canada's National Daily
- The New Jesuit Review
- The New York Times Website
- Vox Nova
- What Does Prayer Really Say - Priest bolg
- Whispers in the Loggia
- ► 2016 (1578)
- ► 2015 (2204)
- ► 2014 (2437)
- ► 2013 (1381)
- ► 2012 (1527)
- ► 2011 (1437)
- ► 2010 (997)
- Gay man sues Bible publisher for $10 Million
- Canadians have a "right" to health care? Apparent...
- Halloween is NOT condemned by the Vatican
- A proposed discussion
- Reformation Day: An insightful take on Martin Lut...
- Some "home town parish" bragging
- An archive of writings from Bishop Frederick Henry...
- Next Generation of Catholic Leaders
- Archbishop Thomas Collins (Toronto) speaks on the ...
- What is "Evangelical" Catholicism?
- Archbishop Dolan confronts the issue of anti-Catho...
- The ongoing cost of the sex abuse scandals to the ...
- "Beauty" is only skin deep, but at what price.
- Holy See calls for Catholics, clerics and lay alik...
- Archbishop Timothy Dolan (New York) joins the blog...
- Archbishop Currie (St. John's NFLD) writes about t...
- Statistics on sexual abuse by priests, ministers a...
- Monogamy under attack?
- Video of Bishops addressing current issues
- Archbishop Dolan to imitate Cardinal O’Connor, Arc...
- Randy Cohen (New York Times) comments on media cov...
- Excellent blogsite for Canadian/Catholic and Proli...
- Bishop Paul-Andre Durocher addresses the Lahey Sca...
- Charles Lewis (National Post) addresses Maureen Do...
- Canadian Euthanasia Debate
- Can Clergy Sex Abuse Offenders be Helped?
- Conscience, Courage, and Children With Down Syndro...
- Friar Rick posts comments of Apostolic Nuncio in t...
- A Letter to the Bishops of Canada
- Maureen Dowd throws down a challenge in today's Ne...
- Fr. Raymond de Souza (National Post Columnist) add...
- Bishop Frederick Henry (Calgary) addresses the Lah...
- Archbishop Mancini (Halifax & Apostolic Administra...
- Article on the Public Role of Bishops by Archbisho...
- Je me souvien
- The Dickwad Theory
- ▼ October (36)